As I point out in my column in the October issue of theÂ magazine, sanctions ain't what they used to be. They are more like giving a corporation a highly contagious disease, so that, for example, India's Reliance oil company has to weigh up whether to ship 30,000 barrels of gasoline to the mullahs, or forfeit a US$500 million contract to supply jet fuel to New York's JFK airport.
Â Oil companies are the most immoral in the world - see the new book Crude World by Peter Maass reviewed in today's Wall Street Journal - but they are also mutlinationals who do most of their business in the developed West.
There has been much huffing and puffing about President Obama's decision to scrap the (unworkable)Â missile defence system in the Czech Republic and Poland. Yesterday, the US embassy announced a high level agreement between the US and Russian chiefs of staff - exchanges of officers and cadets and joint exercises on piracy and air craft hijackings - which suggest there is more going on, in addition to Russia's newfound willingness to consider stringent sanctions against Iran.
Michael Burleigh is a member of the government's senior advisory group on commemorating the centennial of the First World War. His most recent book is Moral CombatÂ (Harper Press, 2010).Â
- Conduct Unbecoming: The Classical Commentaries of Norman Lebrecht in Standpoint
- Chronicling The Crash: A Standpoint Ebook
- Grounds for Hope
- Is Islam a Peaceful Religion? Daniel Johnson at the Oxford Union
- Standpoint's Autumn Salons
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- Is Hunter's History Bunk?
- Lawson Collects on Climate Change Bet
- Friends of Russia or Friends of Putin?
- Russia's Win-Win Election
- The Kremlin Plays Old Tricks With Pussy Riot
- A Pyrrhic Victory for Georgian Democracy
- Abandoned in Moscow
- Standpoint's New Facebook Page
- No need to pander to the Bear, Mr Obama
- Standpoint Recommends: The Tacitus Lecture 2012
- Goodbye, Vienna
- Friends Indeed â€” Daniel Johnson on Gertrude Himmelfarb
- New Culture Forum Lecture: Jeremy Hunt
- Kangaroo Courts Arrive Down Under
- The BBC's painful novelties
- Money can't buy you love - Nichi Hodgson
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Four
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Three
- World Youth Day Diary: Day Two
- World Youth Day Diary: Day One